Adventure Wedding Shoes and Boots
A question we often get asked is:
What type of shoes are most appropriate to wear to an Adventure Wedding Day?
Our Answer: Large Waterproof Boots AND Hiking Boots AND Comfy Pair or Pretty Heels.
Yes, I said 3 pairs! It’s been our experience throughout these 5+ amazing years of planning adventure weddings in Iceland, Patagonia and beyond that packing all of them allows your day to be comfortable no matter if it rains or is blue skies all day.
You might start with the hiking boots for the ceremony, transition to the tall waterproof gum/rain boots for some waterfall hiking fun and then end the night in your comfy Toms or fabulous girly stilettos. Believe me, it’s nice to have options available throughout the day (along with extra socks for you and your groom).
We also suggest this same rule of thumb to your Adventure Wedding guests as well. It’s good to clue them in that waterproof hiking boots are best because it is likely they will be walking on uneven terrain, lava rocks, moss, or muddy trails for 10 minutes up to 120 minutes one way, depending on your fabulous Adventure Wedding Schedule. Regular tennis/running shoes are not going to be durable enough to last and keep people comfortable through the entire day.
Your next question is probably where do you buy the best Adventure Wedding Shoes and Boots for brides, grooms, and guests? Don’t worry, I will share my favorite list:
Tips for getting the most out of your Adventure Wedding Shoes / Boots:
- If you do not usually wear heels and want to for your wedding day, start ASAP. Start out wearing them while doing household chores (1-2 hours a day) and build up until you can stand an entire day. I know this may sound silly, but the more time your toes and the balls of your feet have to get a little callused, the longer you’ll be able to stand, walk, and run around in those fancy stilettos with no complaints (Serious advice from a 15+ year stiletto veteran- believe me it works!).
- Invest $13 USD to purchase a pair of Heel Savers by Solemates you’ll be glad you did later!
- If you are worried about your shoes slipping there are shoe grips you can purchase that go on the bottom of your shoes and also inside to add comfort and prevent slippage.
- Do your research before buying! Many shoe sites now have shoe reviews which you may find helpful before buying online. If also buying online make sure you check out Retail Me Not for a possible coupon code! That site rocks.
- Remember to take your Adventure Wedding Shoes or Boots to your dress fittings to ensure a perfect bottom hem (and bring your other shoes if you’re considering a change at your reception to gauge length difference).
- Wrangle your fiancé into dancing with you on a hardwood floor to give your destination wedding shoes a test run. Make sure you can move, spin, be dipped and regain your balance in them easily.
- Lay your shoes out the night before your wedding (together with any other accessories too) so your awesome Adventure Wedding Photographer, can snap some super sweet detail shots.
- Clean your shoes once you get back from your Adventurous Destination Wedding. I know my heels were stained with mud by the end of our Adventure Wedding ceremony. It took me a bucket of water, Simple Green, Dove soap, and 40 minutes to restore them back to their original glam status but I am so glad I did!
- Wear them again, again, and again they’ll make you smile and transform you back to your newly wedded bliss =)
With a smile, Ann Peters + Team (Iceland Wedding Photographers + Planners)
© 2016, Your Adventure Wedding, All Rights Reserved.